Many of you know that I am ever so passionate about SIMPLE, UNPROCESSED, WHOLE-FOOD meals and recipes, and protein balls and the like often don’t impress me due to ingredients that I personally consider too refined and ‘unnatural’ in terms of their intended consumption….
It’s a hard thing to explain and quite simply, I just ask my body/being and it says “Yes” or “No” to me. I have learned to trust that and not question it. Often I discover the wisdom a long time later.
When I try to be smart, follow “expert advice” or “research” things, I get lead astray, and often end up doing things that don’t feel right to me AND cause some level of harm…
Anywho, THESE protein balls I got SUPER excited about and my body said a loud and clear YES to!
The original recipe came from Taste.com.au and I modified it to once again suit budget factors and what I had in the fridge/pantry!
Super Healthy and DELICIOUS Choc-Coconut Protein Balls
- 12 Medjool dates (I used 8 medjool dates, and then regular dates to make up 300g of dates in total)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus 1/3 cup extra for rolling
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- I added oats and water to make a consistency I felt was “right”
- Place dates in a medium bowl and cover with water. Stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard seeds (I used boiling water and stood for maybe less than 1 hour)
- Process dates, almond meal, shredded coconut, coconut oil, cacao powder and chia seeds until mixture comes together. (I added oats and water here)
- Transfer to a bowl and stand for 20 minutes for chia seeds to soften. (I left the mixture in the food processor bowl)
- Place remaining coconut in a shallow dish.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls.
- Roll in coconut to coat.
- Then I popped my balls into a Pyrex bowl and placed them in the fridge to set!
They were PERFECT for eating the next day and Mr T reported they were AMAZE-BALLS (hehe….. Lame I know!)
So, you can create unlimited variations of this ONE basic recipe and if your children’s schools don’t have a NUT-FREE policy, you can send these snacks to school with FULL peace of mind that they are eating only HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS ingredients in a version they will LOVE!
If protein-balls are your thang, ENJOY also!
I LOVE to hear from you and to SEE your amazing creations!
Mind, Body, Soul Wellness
Dietitian~Counsellor~Eating Psychology Coach
Founder of The You Method
Make sure you’re on my list to get a FREE cookbook and the VIP secrets I share! Click the box below 🙂