If you’re in my neck of the woods, it’s cooling down, it’s EASTER TIME and therefore WARM, YUMMY HOT CROSS BUNS are on the agenda! 🙂
Many of us Healthy Foodie Bots like to indulge, yes, but WITHOUT feeling BLEH afterwards. So we are always on the hunt for healthier versions of our FAVOURITE things 🙂 And this my friends is something you are going to LOVE 🙂
HEAVENLY, yes, and also HEALTHY, HOT CROSS BUNS! 🙂 Yum, yum, YUMMY!
The awesome Carly from Holistic Life has created these AMAZING Gluten and Dairy free beauties so we can ALL enjoy Easter without the guilt or the BLEH…. 🙂 Thanks SO much Carly! Be sure to check this chickie out on Facebook, Instagram and also her HOME online
Enjoy and let me know what you think: [email protected]
Over to Carly! 🙂 xo
“As Easter fast approaches there are endless shelves of hot cross buns and Easter eggs in the shopping centre.
I have always been a fan of hot cross buns with a side of butter, but as I’m now Gluten and Dairy free why should I miss out on all the fun!
So I’ve come up with my own Hot Cross Buns that cater to the Gluten and Lactose intolerant.
These are great with a little bit of coconut butter, or can be heating up on their own and enjoyed as a snack, or even for breakfast.”
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tablespoons Mesquite powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup rice syrup
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 orange squeezed
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup cacao powder
4 Tablespoons rice syrup
1/4 cup cacao butter
1. Add all dry ingredients for a large mixing bowl and mix well.
2. In a separate bowl crack the eggs and whisk for one minute. Then add the eggs to the dry ingredients along with the rice syrup and coconut oil and stir till it thickens and forms a paste.
3. Place the mixture in a small cake tin and place in the oven on 175 degrees for 45 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl mix the egg yolk and orange juice and stir for 30 seconds, then with a basting brush glaze over the top of the base and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
5. Take out of the oven and allow to cool while you make the cross mixture. Once cooled cut into small pieces.
6. In a bowl add the rice syrup, melted cacao butter and cacao powder and stir well. With a small spoon spread the mixture to form crosses on the buns.
7. Place the buns in the freezer to allow the crosses to set for 10-15 minutes, then store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Makes approx 8 slices.
Be sure to send feedback to [email protected]
AND if you’d like to make a time to discuss YOUR Health, Happiness and Fitness goals, contact me on [email protected] to book your FREE Health and Fitness Appraisal. In this 20 minute session we’ll discuss what you’re looking for, what’s been holding you back so far and HOW you can breakthrough. I usually make space for 1-5 of these sessions a week, so GET ON IT 🙂 I LOVE hearing from you and inspiring you to live a happier, healthier life NOW 🙂
Health & Happiness Coach
Accredited Practicing Dietitian, Counsellor, Psychology of Eating Coach