Today I am SO super excited to share with you another awesome INSTA find that I just ADORE 🙂
Miss Elsa is SUCH a gorgeous and vibrant being whose Insta feed is CHOC FULL of images and colours and vibes that will simply make you feel great just by visiting it!!
You can find her by her handle @elsas_wholesomelife
As you know I emphatically believe that we are ALL different, and that ultimately VARIETY and CHOICE and FREEDOM are the wonders of life! So today I am so delighted to share with you a totally VEGETARIAN meal option 🙂
Just because I myself am going through a MEAT phase right now, does NOT AT ALL mean I advocate this for everyone and I am completely aware that this will just be a PHASE in my life and that I will soon transition into another space and shift my way of eating…. I do this CONSTANTLY…. I’ve had near raw/vegan phases, fish-phases, fruit-phases, a total MIXED phase and I love that I just continue to listen to my body and eat INTUITIVELY 🙂
This is what I encourage you to do too 🙂 Really listen to and TRUST your body! What does it say YES to, and feel good for having eaten afterwards??
Anyway, back to Elsa’s awesome Ultimate Veggie Burgers!
I LOVE these because they are based on two foods I particularly LOVE : pumpkin and chickpeas!! 🙂
In my own search for veggies burger recipes I was constantly frustrated that they required breadcrumbs, or some type of processed ingredient…
Personally, this does NOT appeal to me at this stage of my life (yes, it COULD change!) and I was seeking something highly unprocessed and as close to nature as possible.
THATS how I stumbled across this gem of a recipe, and, the true gem herself, Elsa 🙂
You can make these your own by substituting various ingredients and just using this as a guide (ie you might prefer sweet potato, kidney beans, etc). The fun is in playing and experimenting 🙂
Let me know how you go with these – it’s SUPER HELPFUL to hear the feedback and THANK YOU to those who DO send through how they go with recipes I share here 🙂
Elsa’s Ultimate Veggie Burgers
(makes approx 8 large patties)
What you need for the veggie patties:
- ½ cup diced onion (I’ve used spring onion)
- ¼ cup packed chopped coriander
- 1 cup grated zucchini (approx. ½ large zucchini)
- 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and mashed with a fork
- 1 cup roasted and mashed pumpkin (or approximately ¼ butternut pumpkin)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- ½ diced red chilli
- 1 flax egg or 1 organic egg (non vegan option)
Extras for the burger:
- sourdough rolls (I pick mine up from the local organic bakery)
- baby spinach leaves
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomato
- grated carrot
- grated beetroot
- avocado mashed with lime and pepper
- grilled eggplant
- sliced cucumber
To have on the side:
- sweet potato fries- sweet potato roasted in olive oil, rosemary, and sea salt.
How to make the patties:
- heat the oven to 180 degrees fan forced, line a baking tray with baking paper, place the pumpkin on the tray, toss in olive oil, sprinkle over the cumin seeds, cinnamon, and sea salt and place in the oven to bake.
- add the onion, coriander, zucchini, chickpeas, garlic, chilli, and egg (flax egg or hens egg) to a mixing bowl and mix.
- once the pumpkin is baked soft, mash with a fork and add to the mixing bowl, combine the ingredients well.
- line a baking tray with baking paper and scoop out handful size balls of the mixture, place on the baking tray and flatten/shape into burger patties (see picture above)
- either cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge (if cooking them later), or heat up a fry pan on medium heat, add a swirl of olive oil, and place 2 patties in a pan at a time, fry on one side, then flip to the other side after at least 3 minutes. Cook the patties until your desired crispy-ness.
How I like to construct my burgers:
- spread a generous dollop of hommus on the toasted top bun, and a big dollop of avo mash on the bottom bun, next lay down some spinach leaves over the avo, then your pattie, then layer some slices of grilled eggplant, tomato, onion, cucumber, carrot, beetroot, and finally some sprouts, then place the bun top on top and give it a little smoosh down so you can get your chompers around it 🙂
Serve with some sweet potato fries, cause we all know burgers are meant to be devoured with a side of fries
Im still in the process of perfecting my sweet potato fry recipe, but I will share it with you when its perfected!
There you have it guys! 🙂 Bon appetite!
Dietitian ~ Counsellor ~ Psychology of Eating Coach
If you are wanting 1:1 help to learn exactly WHAT foods and eating and exercise styles are good for YOUR body, let’s chat!
My method involves ultimate 1:1 assessment and factors in ALL relevant aspects from your background, medical history, body type, family history, personal preferences and values, stage of life, energy & metabolism assessment, symptoms, current regime, goals and stress inputs.
I always offer a FREE 15-20 minute Consultation to begin with so that we can explore & “feel out” if I/my work is what you are looking for or not 🙂 People always KNOW once we chat!
Email me [email protected]utrition.com.au to arrange a time