Image credit : Well Plated
You guys KNOW I love to create healthier versions of YUMMY meals, and this one is a ripper!
Who doesn’t love Chicken Satay?!
I don’t even understand anyone who doesn’t!
Anywho- this recipe is actually from WELL OVER a DECADE ago! (oh my how time flies!)
Way back when Healthy Food Guide Australia was BRAND NEW, I was an AVID subscriber and collected EVERY.SINGLE.ISSUE
I had them all stacked neatly in date order in gorgeous magazine holders and I just LOVED flicking through them to get some new inspiration for the weeks ahead meals (I used to meal plan every SUNDAY with my super simple, yet effective Meal Planner template- if you’d like a copy hit me up at [email protected])
I had this recipe typed up for clients so that they too could enjoy its deliciousness- and BOY did they love it!
One client loved it SO much it featured at her engagement party!
So don’t for a moment doubt how WORTH the (teeny tiny!) effort it will be 🙂
I actually adjusted this slightly as the original had the satay sauce as a separate dipping sauce. I prefer to marinate the chicken with the peanut butter in the marinade AND that way I don’t need to use the oyster or sweet chilli sauces (nothing wrong with them- I just prefer my food and recipes to be as clean and whole as possible!)
If you would like a copy of the original recipe to keep the sauce separated as a dipping sauce, please email me and request it- more than happy to oblige! I’ve tried searching it on the HFG website but can only find different Satay Chicken recipes.
But here for you is my version (tried, tested and TRIPLE approved by myself and my man!)
New Leaf Nutrition Chicken Satay
Throw these skewers onto the barbeque and the sweet, spicy smoke will make everyone ravenously hungry. Only costs $4.15 per serve and takes 15 minutes to make
You will need:
- 500g chicken breasts, skinless (I used Organic, Free-Range from Sunshine Coast Organic Meats)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used Tamari)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I didn’t actually use any oil)
- 1 tablespoon limejuice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon organic peanut butter – 100% peanuts – no added nasties!
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Lime wedges
- Soak 16 bamboo skewers in water to prevent burning (I didn’t bother to thread onto skewers- just pan-fried in strips)
- Cut the chicken into 16 slices, about 1cm wide
- Lay on a board, cover with plastic and bash lightly to flatten (I didn’t bother with this!)
- Mix the soy sauce with the oil, lime juice, ground spices, peanut butter and garlic and garlic
- Coat the chicken in the spicy marinade and leave for 30 minutes
- Heat up the grill or barbeque
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers
- Grill or barbeque for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through
- Serve with vegetables, brown and lime wedges 🙂
**For Tim’s lunches I simply microwaved a flavoured rice pack from Aldi, plus some mixed frozen veg from Woolies and BAM! In no time, his lunches were served!
For my own lunches – I sauteed a LARGE serve of mixed greens, placed these on a bed of salad and topped with the satay chicken 🙂
Let me know what you think of this recipe and what other sorts of healthy recipes you’d LOVE to see! 🙂
ENJOY! Let me know if you make this 🙂
Any questions/comments/feedback/shares- simply email [email protected]trition.com.au anytime!
LOTS OF LOVE!
Mind, Body, Soul Wellness
Dietitian~Counsellor~Eating Psychology Coach
Make sure you’re on my list to get a FREE cookbook and all the VIP secrets I share! Click the box below 🙂